Friday 21 May 2010

Space to dance

I want to dance. I want to respond to music, to put something of myself into what I do, to express myself in movement to music. I want to enjoy the creative side of dance, the part of it that stimulates the imagination and the creativity.

But at the moment it seems that whenever I have some *time*, I'm lacking the space -  either the headspace, or the energy, or I'm too likely to be interupted. Right now I have time to blog because I'm waiting for the mopped floors to dry - plus it's bedtime! I have no energy to dance, nothing left of myself to put into it.

Early mornings don't work for me, because altho my body is working, my brain isn't. In the evenings, once the kids are in bed, I am either teaching, preparing my classes or doing admin (room booking, publicity, event organising), or indeed running a house and trying to maintain a good relationship with my husband. If I do get some evening time I find it difficult to find a space to dance in - kitchen too wee, dining room too full of wobbly bookcases, living room too full of husband.

I wonder, if I got the chance to put aside some time each week to just dance, would I be able to? Would I just feel the pressure of that set time, do-it-quick-now-before-time-runs-out, and have a mental block?

I wish I had a Tardis. Sigh!