Monday 22 February 2010

Hafla for Haiti

Last night was the fundraising Hafla for Haiti, organised by Irene Hogg, at Revolution nightclub in Edinburgh. The week leading up to it was mid-term so I had almost no time to prepare, and felt pretty under the weather - so I was over the moon that it was such a good evening!

I danced a stick routine, the first time I've recycled a dance - I'd performed the same number in December at the hafla in Peebles. The feedback I got last night was that this time was much better than the last, so perhaps it's a winning formula. It's good to have a chance to twiddle bits I don't like. You can see it here, cos I haven't figured out how to embed it into my blog yet!

I was more excited about the Helwa Hurdies (my Intermediate-level performance class I teach in Musselburgh). The Hurdies were performing their routine for the first time, and only began learning the choreography in the middle of January. They were amazing. They looked gorgeous, they moved beautifully, they were just fabulous. I felt so proud!! You can hear my zaghareets and squeals of joy in footage!!

It was a really good fun night with some really good performances - Moyra was beautiful, I really love her Egyptian style. Laura Monteith was so easy to watch, she's such a natural performer. Oh so many great dancers!!!

There were also two burlesque performers and a pole dancer - I've never seen either sort of performance before. The pole dancer did some amazing manoeuvres, but to me it's more like a gymnastic display than a dance. I felt like I do when I watch gymnastic floorwork - amazing, accomplished, but for my taste, lacks musicality. The burlesque women stripped off to their nipple-tassles in an entertaining way. Not my cup of tea.

Well done Irene for a great night and thanks for the opportunity to perform!