Monday 14 November 2011

Grooving in Glasgow

This weekend was GFAD - Glasgow Festival of Arabic Dance, organised by Glasgow bellydancers Ann McLaughlin and Sarah Pullman. It's a twice-a-year event featuring workshops with local and visiting teachers, and a hafla.

I really enjoyed the workshop I did, with the legendary UK teacher Candi Bell. It was my first Candi experience, although I've been a fan of her website for a long time. She was humourous, clear and helpful in class, and taught entrances and exits, a class that helped us with making an impact in a range of styles of Egyptian music.

The hafla was really enjoyable and was a real showcase of west of Scotland talent - lots of classes performed, as well as local teachers and other soloists. I was there with some of the Helwa Hurdies, and we performed our khaleegi number, which got a good reaction! I did a solo meleya lef number, which I really enjoyed - my first hafla appearance with the meleya lef! If you're on Facebook you'll find my performance on my page.


GFAD is a great event, I hope it goes from strength to strength!

Next stop is the Edinburgh Egyptian Dancers Hafla at Revolution Nightclub, Chambers Street in Edinburgh on Sunday 20th November.