Monday 25 October 2010

Shimmy by the Shore!

I'm excited about an event I'm organising!

Shimmy by the Shore! 
Sunday 14th November, 4pm-6pm
The Red Room at The Constitution, Constitution Street, Leith
£5 entry

This is going to be a very friendly, very relaxed, very informal afternoon in a lovely venue. I want a happy environment for belly dancers to perform.

Performing can be nerve-wracking. Whether it's big audiences, stage lights, unknown crowds who might know nothing - or indeed, everything - about bellydance. That's why I'm organising this afternoon event in a small venue, and any dancer of any experience can turn up and dance. Dancers can even decide on the day whether they want to dance or not. No pressure, no stress, just dancing and enjoyment!

If you want to share a dance, or something you've been working on, or a work in progress, dance in your jeans or full costume, all of that is fine. Just come along with your tune on your iPod, be there for 4pm prompt, and we'll sort out the running order there and then.

Please note that the venue is carpeted, and very small, so it is NOT ideal for isis wings, swords, big groups, veils or fan!

I hope everybody who comes along will be friendly and kind to the performers, and tell the dancers what they enjoyed about their performance. Now, I wonder if this leaves me open to accusations of over-nice-ing. Well, in the long run, it doesn't do belly dance any good if we dancers think we're way better than we are. But equally, it doesn't do us any good to feel unconfident and inadequate when what we really need is performance practice, a bit of nurturing and some friendly words! I wouldn't want to tell a dancer that she was brilliant if I didn't think she was - but equally, I want to make sure that good performances get good feedback!

So, if you can come along - and I hope you can! - please remember that the audience is just as important a part of the performance as the dancer and the music!