Monday 13 September 2010

Beautiful dancer and/or beautiful dance

I was at a workshop a few weeks ago where I was lucky enough to be in the company of some very talented dancers, who were also beautiful and curvy.

I say 'lucky', but after 6 hours in front of the mirrors beside beautiful women, I didn't feel very lucky. In comparison, I felt curve-less and scruffy, in need of some new gel bras and a wig. In fact, just a makeover, please.

Later we had a discussion about a famous Cairo dancer, who was a judge in a recent UK bellydance competition, who said that the most important thing about a competitor was that she was 'clean' - that she looked as if she'd been in the beauty salon all day, nails and hair all perfect and no extra body hair. For her, this was more important that presence, costume, and technique.

I know 'the look' is important. I want to see well-presented dancers too. But for me, it's about making something beautiful, not only being something beautiful.

I am not implying for a second that any of the dancers I was with are not great dancers!! They are all brilliant!! It's only really my own insecurities talking, and I guess they're just shouting at me pretty loudly at the moment.

Which is why I thought I'd share with you a photo of myself that I like. Mainly to cheer myself up. Thanks to the smashing Kelly Archibald at Kalidescope Studios for taking it.