Monday 9 August 2010

Summer holidays

After the Musselburgh Hafla I had a full month of no dancing at all. Instead I painted my kitchen, went on a family holiday, tried out Zumba, did a few races and generally did other stuff - it's good to have a holiday!

When August came around it was time to get dancing again, and when I put on Egyptian pop music and started to move my body again, it was a familiar and as comforting as putting on my favourite pyjamas. Feeling my muscles move was a great sensation, just out-of-practice enough to know that I've missed it, but so familiar that my reactions are instantly happy.

I'm working on my classes for next term, which starts at the end of August. I'm giving my classes more emphasis on moving to the music. It might sound strange for a dance class, but especially for beginners I often spend a lot of the time *without* music playing - breaking down moves, talking them over, explaining them with words. This term I'm going to try to talk less and boogie more!

So if you come to my classes this term you can expect it to be energetic and fun, with lots of poppy Egyptian music and easy-to-follow routines to learn.